All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this collection of compelling and practical essays, Emmy Award-winning broadcaster, newspaper columnist, and motivational speaker Steve Adubato shares concrete tips and tools that will help you connect more effectively at work, at home, under pressure, in leadership roles, and in high-tech environments. From avoiding unnecessary arguments with your spouse to coaching a valuable, yet difficult employee, Adubato's essays delve into the key factors that motivate people to act and respond the way that they do. You will find answers to some of the most common questions about public speaking as well as advice on overcoming its anxieties. Whether the forum is a PTA meeting or a large professional function, essays explore topics such as: Why even practiced speakers sometimes experience stage fright; How to keep your audience awake and interested in what you are saying. You will learn essential skills for interacting in the workplace, including: How to negotiate a good deal and still be honest and straight; How to keep team projects from falling apart; How to conduct yourself in confrontational situations, such as receiving a public insult. Drawing on examples set by public figures, including Bill Clinton, Rudy Giuliani, Mario Cuomo, Martha Stewart, Jack Welch, Joe Torre, and many others, Adubato addresses the unique communication challenges that those in leadership positions face. Essays examine: What ordinary people can learn from leaders in high-profile positions; Why so many leaders have difficulty taking responsibility and apologizing for their actions. As techlogy continues to provide opportunities for quicker and more visual communication, Adubato also lets you kw when hi-tech bells and whistles get in the way of making a more personal and human connection. For instance Why do we hide behind email messages when we have something very difficult to say? and How does communication deteriorate when cell phones, faxes, and e-mail are all competing for our attention? Finally, Adubato reminds us that communicating at home is less important or any less difficult than communicating in public or at work. From contemporary challenges to age-old questions, essays explore: How you can more effectively talk with your kids about war and terrorism; What forms of persuasion are more effective than nagging. Filled with timely examples and practical suggestions, Make the Connection is a must-read for everyone looking to improve their professional and personal relationships.
- Author BiographySteve Adubato, Ph.D., is a four-time Emmy Award-winning television anchor on Thirteen/WNET New York (PBS), who has also appeared as a media and communication expert on FOX News Channel, MSNBC and C-SPAN. He has a distinguished career as a newspaper columnist with the Star-Ledger, and is also an author, motivational speaker, university lecturer, and communication coach through his firm Stand & Deliver. He is the author of Speak from the Heart: Be Yourself and Get Results. He lives in Montclair, New Jersey.
- Author(s)Steve Adubato
- PublisherRutgers University Press
- Date of Publication30/11/2005
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Place of PublicationPiscataway
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRivergate Books
- Weight413 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine21 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $39.95Trending at AU $54.70
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $18.90Trending at AU $23.23
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $38.31
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $56.23
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.