All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.55
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.45Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionAmerican higher education faces an array of major problems, including skyrocketing tuition, mania over college rankings, the crass commercialiam of big-time sports, controversial admissions preference for certain groups, a basic liberal arts curriculum that fails to do its job and increasingly shifts the responsibility to high schools, to name only some. Yet the powers in control -- colleges nationwide, along with U.S. NEWS magazine, the National Collegiate Athletic Association, and the College Board -- fail to make essential changes. Instead they present a facade of rationalizations and misinformation to justify unsound practices. WILLIAM CASEMENT confronts this situation as both a professional philosopher and successful businessman whose perspective is unique. MAKING COLLEGE RIGHT cuts through the public persona of the higher education establishment, exposing each faulty argument in turn, then applies common sense principles for setting our nation's colleges on a proper course. Included are proposals for inducing colleges to lower tuition, creating a far better ranking system, the full professionalization of Division I sports, and major revision of the core curriculum, among others. The book's engaging straight talk style makes it appropriate for a broad audience.
- Author BiographyWilliam Casement is a former philosophy professor, and presently an art dealer and gallery owner in Naples, Florida. He holds a bachelor's and two master's degrees from the State University of New York, and a PhD in philosophy from Georgetown University. His writings include THE GREAT CANON CONTROVERSY: THE BATTLE OF THE BOOKS IN HIGHER EDUCATION, and numerous articles that span the range of educational theory and policy analysis, political theory, and literary theory and criticism.
- Author(s)William Casement
- PublisherNational Association of Scholars
- Date of Publication22/12/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNational Association of Scholars
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight322 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.