All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.79
- AU $7.52Trending at AU $8.17
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.65
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.29
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.74
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $27.99
About this product
- DescriptionBy featuring the life histories of eight senior men, Making Men in Ghana explores the changing meaning of becoming a man in modern Africa. Stephan F. Miescher concentrates on the ideals and expectations that formed around men who were prominent in their communities when Ghana became an independent nation. Miescher shows how they negotiated complex social and ecomic transformations and how they dealt with their mounting obligations and responsibilities as leaders in their kinship groups, churches, and schools. Not only were tions about men and masculinity shaped by community standards, but they were strongly influenced by imported standards that came from missionaries and other colonial officials. As he recounts the life histories of these men, Miescher reveals that the passage to manhood--and a position of power, seniority, authority, and leadership--was t always welcome or easy. As an important foil for studies on women and femininity, this groundbreaking book t only explores masculinity and ideals of male behaviour, but offers a fresh perspective on African men in a century of change. Stephan F.Miescher is Assistant Professor of History at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is co-editor (with Luise White and David William Cohen) of African Words, African Voices: Critical Practices in Oral History (available from Indiana University Press) and co-editor (with Lisa A. Lindsay) of Men and Masculinities in Modern Africa.
- Author BiographyStephan F. Miescher is Associate Professor of History at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He is co-editor of African Words, African Voices: Critical Practices in Oral History (IUP, 2001) and of Men and Masculinities in Modern Africa.
- Author(s)Stephan F. Miescher
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication24/11/2005
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note23 b&w photos, 1 maps, 1 bibliog., 1 index
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.