Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.82
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionMaking Rights a Reality? explores the way in which disability activists in the United Kingdom and Canada have transformed their aspirations into legal claims in their quest for equality. It unpacks shifting conceptualizations of the political identity of disability and the role of a rights discourse in these dynamics. In doing so, it delves into the diffusion of disability rights among grassroots organizations and the traditional disability charities. The book draws on a wealth of primary sources including court records and campaign documents and encompassing interviews with more than sixty activists and legal experts. While showing that the disability rights movement has had a significant impact on equality jurisprudence in two countries, the book also demonstrates that the act of mobilizing rights can have consequences, both intended and unintended, for social movements themselves.
- Author BiographyDr Lisa Vanhala currently holds a postdoctoral fellowship at the Centre for Socio-Legal Studies at the University of Oxford. She previously held an Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) postdoctoral fellowship at the Centre for the Study of Human Rights at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). Her research has been published in the Journal of European Public Policy, the Canadian Journal of Political Science, Common Law World Review, and Regional and Federal Studies.
- Author(s)Lisa Vanhala
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication02/01/2014
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleCambridge Disability, Law and Policy Series
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus. 14 tables
- Weight420 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.