All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen talking about marginality and otherness, one must always ask, marginal to what? Other to whom? Complex issues of identity construction have been the focus of research on students who, whether based on race, gender, class, or ability, define themselves or are defined as being on the margins of school life. Making Schools Work examines this question in its presentation of the results of a longitudinal study of academic achievement and pre-college enrichment. Discussions focus on how students construct their identities with regard to race because of the history of problems associated with race relations in educational settings. Using case studies and observational data, the book presents findings on a group of adolescents defined as at risk - inside, but on the margins of educational institutions.
- Author BiographyThe Authors: Carolyn R. Hodges, Professor of German, is Head of the Department of Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures and Chair of the Comparative Literature Program at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. She is the co-author, with Olga M. Welch, of Standing Outside on the Inside: Black Adolescents and the Construction of Academic Identity (1997). Olga M. Welch is Professor of Rehabilitation, Deafness, and Human Services at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville. She is the co-author, with Carolyn R. Hodges, of Standing Outside on the Inside: Black Adolescents and the Construction of Academic Identity (1997).
- Author(s)Carolyn R. Hodges,Olga M. Welch
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/03/2003
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleAdolescent Cultures, School & Society
- Series Part/Volume Number8
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight180 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.