All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBeautifully designed and sturdily bound for rugged field use, <em>Mammals of Alabama</em> is the first and only exhaustive guidebook to Alabama's diverse and fascinating mammalian fauna.<br><br>European and American naturalists visited the territory that would become Alabama as early as the late eighteenth century and marvelled at the breadth and variety of its flora and fauna. Yet until today scientists, scholars, and nature enthusiasts had systematic guide to the state's mammals. <em>Mammals of Alabama</em> fills the gap.<br><br>Naturally occurring in the state are nine orders, twenty-two families, fifty-one genera, and seventy-two species of living mammals. Best and Dusi offer an engaging entry for each as well as additional species that have become extinct through natural processes or human extirpation. Illustrated with maps and photos, each entry includes:<ul><li>Identification tes</li><li>Dental formula</li><li>Size and weight</li><li>Distribution</li><li>Ecology</li><li>Life History</li><li>Behaviour</li><li>Parasites and Diseases</li><li>Conservation Status</li><li>Notes and References</li></ul>Ideal for backyards, hikes, libraries, and classrooms, <em>Mammals of Alabama</em> includes hundreds of professional, close-up colour specimen photographs of both living animals in their natural habitats and skull plates, making identification of animals easy.<br><br>Best also offers fascinating and fun facts about Alabama mammals that will delight nature lovers of all ages, such as the surprising and excellent tree-climbing skills of the gray fox, the use in the past of mole skins to apply cosmetics, and the litters of identical quadruplets common to the nine-banded armadillo.
- Author Biography<strong>Troy L. Best</strong> is a professor of biological sciences at Auburn University.
- Author(s)Julian L. Dusi,Troy L. Best
- PublisherThe University of Alabama Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2014
- SubjectLife Sciences: Zoology
- Series TitleGosse Nature Guides
- Place of PublicationAlabama
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of Alabama Press
- Content Noteillustrations (colour), maps (black and white, and colour)
- Weight1520 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine44 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.51Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.