All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionThe strange and terrible story of Alfred Packer, alleged man-eater and legend of 19th-century America's Western frontier. In February 1874 Alfred Packer staggered out of the Colorado mountains and into the Los Pis Indian agency. Swbound and lost, he claimed to have been abandoned by his five companions. But behind the wilderness grime he looked rather well fed. And he had in his possession a skinning knife... When questioned, Packer confessed that four of the group had survived by eating two who had died of exhaustion; later he killed ather in self-defence, eating him also. Packer was arrested on suspicion of murder but escaped. That same month, the half-eaten bodies of five men were discovered near Los Pis... Packer's guilt was assumed, but the law did t catch up with him until 1883. Initially sentenced to death, he received a 40-year jail term. Paroled in 1901, he lived his last years in Denver. Was Packer the flesh-eating monster of myth, or a wretch who acted out of self-preservation? MANEATER tells his story in page-turning prose and also reveals how recent forensic developments may shed light on Packer's long-assumed cannibalism.
- Author BiographyHarold Schechter is a professor of American literature and culture at the City University of New York, and a distinguished specialist in true crime narrative. His The Mad Sculptor is published by Head of Zeus in 2014.
- Author(s)Harold Schechter
- PublisherHead of Zeus
- Date of Publication02/07/2015
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHead of Zeus
- Weight610 g
- Width159 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine32 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.