All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.57Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.06Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
About this product
- DescriptionCopublished with the Summer Institute of Linguistics, Man and Message provides a practical method of analyzing texts based on a cognitive, multilevel model of meaning presented in simple, n-technical language for a wide audience. It begins with a demonstration of human communications as grounded in a cognitive and language-independent meaning base, and details the n-verbal nature of meaning, purpose, conceptualization, thematic patterns, and coherence-providing relations. Then the model is applied to a variety of English texts by dividing it into subunits and displaying their inter-relations at all levels. Each chapter provides pointers in analyses that can be applied to any text in any language. The approach to analysis from a standpoint of cognition realized in language, rather than based in the language itself makes this an original and effective guide for text analysis of any kind in any language.
- Author BiographyKathleen Callow has written one other book and several articles on linguistics and discourse and is an International Translation Consultant with Summer Institute of Linguistics.
- Author(s)Kathleen Callow
- PublisherUniversity Press of America
- Date of Publication28/05/1998
- SubjectEncyclopedias & General Reference
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity Press of America
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight603 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.