All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWounds and disease were as devastating on the battlefields of the ancient world as they are today. In an age of bloody combat, how did physicians and medics cope with arrow injuries, spear and sword gashes, dysentery, and infection without the benefits of anesthesia or modern medical techlogy? In this compelling volume, military historian Richard A. Gabriel explores the long-hidden world of ancient military medicine from 4000 BC to AD 1453 to reveal its surprisingly sophisticated body of kwledge, practice, and technique. Ranging broadly from the deserts of North Africa, across the plains of India and Persia, to the mountains of Europe and Asia Mir, this book examines medical history from the Bronze Age through the Middle Ages. By revealing long-forgotten medical secrets, Dr. Gabriel shows how ancient civilizations' techlogies have influenced modern medical practices. Comprehensive, thoughtful, sometimes graphic, and always accessible, Man and Wound in the Ancient World will be welcomed by anyone who wants to learn how today's medical miracles build upon those of the past.
- Author BiographyRichard A. Gabriel is a distinguished professor in the Department of History and War Studies at the Royal Military College of Canada and in the Department of Defence Studies at the Canadian Forces College in Toronto. He was a professor of history and politics at the U.S. Army War College and held the Visiting Chair in Military Ethics at the Marine Corps University. Dr. Gabriel is a former U.S. Army officer and the author of more than forty books including Scipio Africanus: Rome's Greatest General, Thutmose III: The Military Biography of Egypt's Greatest Warrior King, Philip II of Macedonia: Greater Than Alexander, and Hannibal: The Military Biography of Rome's Greatest Enemy, all published by Potomac Books, Inc. He lives in Manchester, New Hampshire.
- Author(s)Professor Richard A. Gabriel
- PublisherPotomac Books Inc
- Date of Publication28/11/2011
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationDulles
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPotomac Books Inc
- Content Note5 figures; 5 tables; notes; bibliography
- Weight553 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine26 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.72
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.