All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Man in the Crowd is a wonderfully evocative memoir of Stanley Cohen's lifelong fascination with and devotion to the New York Yankees. But it is much more than that. It is also a stalgic remembrance of decades past, and the way life was lived in simpler times. For Cohen, baseball is the prism through which he views the events of the last seventy years. The Man in the Crowd chronicles America's changing mood and lifestyle from the years of World War II through the silent generation of the fifties, the revolutionary turmoil of the sixties through the social decay of the seventies, the excess of the eighties through the techlogical transformation of the nineties up through the sobering uncertainty of the post-9/11 present day. Cohen uses baseball, and, specifically, the Yankees, as his instrument of recollection. The narrative spans four generations - those of father, author, son and grandson - and Cohen recounts through sparkling prose how, for his immigrant father, sports was a means of assimilation into life in the New World; the warmth of watching his son and, later, his grandson both fall heir to his devotion; and how the game of baseball has provided his life its truest sense of continuity. From Joe DiMaggio to Derek Jeter, this Yankees fan has seen it all. And in The Man in the Crowd , the author skillfully weaves the story of this remarkable team through the significant events that have marked t only his own life, but the lives of all Americans.
- Author BiographyStanley Cohen is a freelance writer and communications consultant who has also worked as an editor and reporter. He is the author of several previous books on sports including A Magic Summer and The Game They Played, which was ranked the 32nd-best sports book of all time by the editors of Sports Illustrated. He lives in Tomkins Cove, NY.
- Author(s)Stanley Cohen
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication09/08/2012
- SubjectBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.87
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.53
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.