Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionAwards for excellent performance in mitigating the impact of HIV/AIDS on the workplace are often handed out to large, well-resourced companies in South Africa. On the other hand, small- and medium-sized companies are often castigated for their relatively poor performance and capacity in such efforts. This study provides an in-depth analysis of the opportunities and constraints faced by six small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in managing the burden of HIV/AIDS within their companies. It focuses on the complexity of HIV risk dynamics, as well as the challenges of implementing effective HIV/AIDS intervention programmes, and highlights achievements despite resource constraints. Through qualitative research techniques, the study reflects t only the views and opinions of management, but also the experiences of ordinary employees as participants in HIV/AIDS interventions. The report will be especially useful to company HIV/AIDS programme coordinators, who are often expected to implement what is regarded as HIV/AIDS 'best practice', even though these are often t part of standard business practice.
- Author BiographyJocelyn Vass is a senior research specialist in the Education, Science and Skills Development research programme of the HSRC. Before joining the HSRC, Vass was a trade unionist, and co-ordinated school-to-work transition programmes for historically disadvantaged learners. She was also the local project co-ordinator of the Mesebetsi Labour Force Survey. Timothy Sizwe Phakathi is presently a commonwealth scholar and a PhD candidate in the Department of Sociology at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. He was previously a Senior Researcher in the Employment and Economic Policy research (EEPR) programme at the HSRC.
- Author(s)Jocelyn Vass,Sizwe Phakathi
- PublisherHSRC Press
- Date of Publication31/08/2006
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationCape Town
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- ImprintHSRC Press
- Weight275 g
- Width210 mm
- Height280 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.