All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionYet he did t ally himself with the other painters of contemporary life, the Impressionists, preferring to engage with a Realist tradition, and at the same time drawing on the art of the past--Raphael, Titian, Velazquez, Goya - to confront his own age. It was a provocative program and one which baffled the establishment In this freshly researched study Dr Alan Krell examines the artist's kwn intentions and the critical, sometimes bitterly hostile reception that he encountered. He sets Manet against Impressionists like Monet, Degas and Morisot, and shows how the artist's progressive social views - on sexuality, on the position of women, on the family--were expressed through a style equally 'modern', yet rooted in the European artistic tradition.
- Author(s)Alan Krell
- PublisherThames & Hudson Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/1996
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleWorld of Art S.
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThames & Hudson Ltd
- Content Note185 illustrations, 30 in colour
- Weight450 g
- Width149 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.89
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $25.48Trending at AU $28.39
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $14.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.