All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionIn the space of barely fifteen years, the history of masculinity has become an important dimension of social and cultural history. John Tosh has been in the forefront of the field since the beginning, having written A Man's Place: Masculinity and the Middle-Class Home in Victorian England (1999), and co-edited Manful Assertions: Masculinities in Britainsince 1800 (1991). Here he brings together nine key articles which he has written over the past ten years. These pieces document the aspirations of the first contributors to the field, and the development of an agenda of key historical issues which have become central to our conceptualising of gender in history. Later essays take up the issue of periodisation and the relationship of masculinity to other historical identities and structures, particularly in the context of the family. The last two essays, published for the first time, approach British imperial history in a fresh way. They argue that the empire needs to be seen as a specifically male enterprise, answering to masculine aspirations and insecurities. This leads to illuminating insights into the nature of colonial emigration and the popular investment in empire during the era the New Imperialism.
- Author BiographyJohn Tosh is Professor of History at Roehampton University. He has been at the forefront of British work on the history of masculinities for the last 15 years. He is author of A Man's Place: Masculinity and the Middle-Class Home in Victorian England (1999) and co-editor of Manful Assertions: Masculinities in Britainsince 1800 (1991).
- Author(s)John Tosh
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/11/2004
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Series TitleWomen & Men in History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight651 g
- Width162 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.