Excerpt from Manual of the Early Collection of Early Italian Pictures: Deposited in the Yale School or Fin School Arts, Bring a Catalogue The Yale School of the Fine Arts is a department of Yale College, which was instituted by the munificence of the late Augustus Russell Street, of New-Haven, who erected upon the College square a large and costly building containing galleries adapted to the exhibition of paintings, sculpture, and other works of art, and rooms designed for the studios of artists, and for the instruction of classes. He also made some provision, t yet available, for the endowment of the school. The building was opened in 1866, and in the following summer a collection of modem pictures, by European and American artists, was exhibited in the galleries. The pictures constituting the Jarves Collection were deposited in the gallery at the close of the year 1867, with an agreement that they should remain for a period of three years. It is hoped that before this time shall expire, the collection may be permanently secured. The council who are in charge of the school are the President of the College, Rev. Dr. Woolsey, ex officio, Professor S. F. B. Morse, perpetual member, and Messrs. Daniel Huntington, Donald G. Mitchell, Edward E. Salisbury, and Noah Porter. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art techlogy to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.