All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.98Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.82
About this product
- DescriptionRebkong is a valley in the traditional Tibetan region of Amdo, which is at the centre of a contemporary cultural renewal. Located at the rth-eastern edge of Tibet, it has preserved lost traditions as well as giving birth to reformers and revolutionaries for centuries. The people of Rebkong have continually upheld the purest Buddhist ideals, even after successive waves of destruction have swept through their lives in the twentieth century.Dr Stevenson s astute observations of the Amdo Tibetans of Rebkong colours his inner journey and insights into the nature of life today in this incredible part of the world which is in such stark contrast with our modern dilemmas. On his visits to Rebkong, made while on anthropological field trips through the region, he met with stern lamas, hilarious monks, mad saints, painters, naughty school children, worried parents, beggars, carpenters, returning refugees, bus drivers and local officials. These fascinating characters animate these richly woven tales of hope, loss and national pride, in an area of the world that is rarely visited by foreigners and even more rarely documented. Many Paths also reflects on what anthropologists do in the field, and what can happen when they get up-close and find t only what they were looking for but also the unexpected.
- Author BiographyDr Mark Stevenson is an anthropologist working in Tibetan and Chinese Studies. He lectures in Asian Studies in the Department of Asian and International Studies at Victoria University, Melbourne. He publishes his articles and translations in journals and academic monographs, as well as Buddhist magazines. He also presents regular talks on Rebkong and speaks to class groups and teachers on Tibetan culture and history. He has been making regular field trips to Rebkong for more than ten years.
- Author(s)Mark Stevenson
- PublisherHachette Australia
- Date of Publication01/05/2005
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationSydney
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintLothian Books
- Out-of-print date17/04/2014
- Content NoteSection: 8, col photos
- Weight348 g
- Width137 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Format DetailsFlipback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.