All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionBefore World War I, the U.S. Marine Corps had general officer corp. From 1899 to 1914, three line officers served in the office of commandant as temporary generals, and though their policies shaped the Corps during this formative period, ne was ever permanently promoted above the rank of colonel. With the Naval Personnel Act of 1916, the rank of brigadier general was established and 39 Marines were promoted from 1916 through 1936. Among them, five received the Navy Medal of Hor, 14 were awarded the Navy Cross for extraordinary heroism, seven were suspended from duty as n-judicial punishment and three were found guilty by courts-martial. In the years just prior to the Marine's mobilization against Japan in World War II, 14 of these generals were still on active duty and headed the Corps' expansion from its peacetime strength of 17,248 to a wartime strength of 474,680. This book tells the story of the generals who gave the modern Marine Corps its vision, molded its forces, capabilities and culture, and commanded its soldiers in combat, at sea and in garrison.
- Author BiographyColonel Glenn M. Harned is a retired Army Infantry and Special Forces officer who now works as an independent defense consultant based in Northern Virginia, USA. A student of Marine Corps history for more than 50 years and a distinguished graduate of the Marine Corps War College, he has previously written three military doctrinal publications and published eleven articles in professional military journals. He lives in Woodbridge, Virginia, USA.
- Author(s)Glenn M. Harned
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication28/02/2015
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note45 illustrations
- Weight617 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.