All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $103.90Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionIn the final nine chapters of the Gospel of Mark, Jesus increasingly struggles with his disciples' incomprehension of his unique concept of suffering messiahship and with the opposition of the religious leaders of his day. The Gospel recounts the events that led to Jesus' arrest, trial, and crucifixion by the Roman authorities, concluding with an enigmatic ending in which Jesus' resurrection is anunced but t displayed. In this volume New Testament scholar Joel Marcus offers a new translation of Mark 8--16 as well as extensive commentary and tes. He situates the narrative within the context of first-century Palestine and the larger Greco-Roman world; within the political context of the Jewish revolt against the Romans (66--73 C.E.); and within the religious context of the early church's sometimes rancorous engagement with Judaism, pagan religion, and its own internal problems. For religious scholars, pastors, and interested lay people alike, the book provides an accessible and enlightening window on the second of the canical Gospels.
- Author BiographyJoel Marcus is professor of New Testament and Christian Origins, Duke Divinity School, and the author of Mark 1--8, available from Yale University Press. He lives in Durham, NC.
- Author(s)Joel Marcus
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication12/05/2009
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleThe Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Weight1075 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine47 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $30.87Trending at AU $31.45
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.81Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.