All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.13
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $55.99
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $21.96
About this product
- DescriptionMarkets, Planning and the Moral Ecomy examines the rise of the Progressive movement in the United States during the early decades of the 20th century, particularly the trend toward increased government intervention in the market system that culminated in the establishment of President Roosevelt's New Deal programmes. The authors consult writings from politicians, business leaders, and ecomists of the time, using a variety of historical perspectives to illuminate the conflicting viewpoints that arose as the country struggled to recover from the worst ecomic downturn in its history. This fascinating historical study explores the conflict between what the authors identify as two competing ideologies: the market ecomy, whose proponents advocated a hands-off approach and a trust in allowing the markets to adjust themselves, and the moral ecomy, whose supporters favoured a system of government planning and stewardship designed to promote ecomic fairness. Presenting arguments from each side by public figures and intellectuals, this book offers the most thorough and complete analysis to date of the new ecomic discourse that arose during the Progressive movement and remains a vital component of our ecomic and political discussions today. Professors and students of ecomics, political science, public policy, and history will all find much to admire in this fascinating and accessible volume. Scholars from across the world will also find this book helpful in contemplating the long-term effects that the tension between the market ecomy and the moral ecomy can have on an individual country's ecomic system.
- Author BiographyDonald R. Stabile, Professor of the College, St Mary's College, Maryland, US and the late Andrew F. Kozak, formerly Associate Professor of Economics, St Mary's College, Maryland, US
- Author(s)Andrew F. Kozak,Donald R. Stabile
- PublisherEdward Elgar Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2012
- SubjectEconomics: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationCheltenham
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdward Elgar Publishing Ltd
- Width234 mm
- Height156 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.