All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe public spaces and buildings of the United States are home to many thousands of timepieces--bells, time balls, and clock faces--that tower over urban streets, peek out from lobbies, and gleam in store windows. And in the streets and squares beneath them, men, women, and children wear wristwatches of all kinds. Americans have decorated their homes with clocks and included them in their poetry, sermons, stories, and songs. And as political instruments, social tools, and cultural symbols, these personal and public timekeepers have enjoyed a broad currency in art, life, and culture. In <i>Marking Modern Times</i>, Alexis McCrossen relates how the American preoccupation with time led people from across social classes to acquire watches and clocks. While ting the difficulties in regulating and synchronizing so many timepieces, McCrossen expands our understanding of the development of modern time discipline, delving into the ways we have standardized time and describing how timekeepers have served as political, social, and cultural tools in a society that doesn't merely value time but regards access to time as a natural-born right, a privilege of being an American.
- Author Biography<b>Alexis McCrossen</b> is professor of history at Southern Methodist University in Dallas. She is the author of <i>Holy Day, Holiday: The American Sunday</i> and the editor of <i>Land of Necessity: Consumer Culture in the United States-Mexico Borderlands</i>.
- Author(s)Alexis McCrossen
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication19/07/2016
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note, black & white illustrations
- Weight367 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.