Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionA century ago General Joffre, as Chief of the French General Staff, led the armies that blocked the German invasion at the First Battle of the Marne. He saved Paris from occupation and France from probable defeat. His calm demeaur when faced with a disaster, his ruthless dismissal of incompetent subordinates, and his skilled redeployment of his forces contributed to a historic victory. At the time many saw him as the saviour of the nation, but what should we make of him w? His conduct of the war after the Marne - futile offensives that cost thousands of lives and gained ground, followed by near defeat at Verdun - undermined his position and led to his dismissal. Although he remained immensely popular in France, his reputation has been under a cloud ever since, and he has been overshadowed by the French generals - Petain who commanded the French army and Foch the allied Forces - at the time of the final victory over Germany. Andre Bourachot, in this lucid and highly readable study of Joffre's career, focuses on his performance during the opening phase of the Great War. He offers a fresh and carefully considered view of the man and the soldier.
- Author BiographyGeneral Andre Bourachot is a leading expert on the history of the French army. He entered the military school at Saint-Cyr in 1958 and decided to specialize in engineering. During his long career he served in various roles - as a staff officer, instructor and commander. He left the French army in 1998 as Engineer in Chief. He is a former student of the Centre for Advanced Military Studies and of the Institute for Advanced National Defence Studies in Paris, and he has an engineering degree from the Ecole Nationale des Ponts et Chaussees. He is married and is the father of two children. In addition to Joffre, he has written a two-volume history of the French army, De Sedan a Sedan, 1870-1918 and De Sedan a Sedan, 1918-1940.
- Author(s)Andre Bourachot,Andrew Uffindell
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication02/06/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationSouth Yorkshire
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Military
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine28 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.