All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $13.45Trending at AU $16.56
- AU $12.90Trending at AU $15.86
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $13.65
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $18.91
- AU $5.95Trending at AU $6.02
- AU $7.38Trending at AU $10.71
- AU $11.83Trending at AU $17.52
About this product
- DescriptionFourteen-year-old Martha Mary Overstreet only dreams of becoming a doctor until she writes an essay about women having a say in their own lives, like choosing whether or t to get married or have children - and begins to realize that she can have a say in her own life. She doesn't win the DAR essay contest, but she comes to the attention of Dr. Klinefelder, the Mayfield physician. In 1888 in Mayfield, Texas, a girl lives in her parents' home until she marries or becomes a teacher. But Marty, the oldest of six children, sees her mother exhausted by child-bearing and the unpredictability of cotton farming, and Marty won't begin that life without fighting for an education and the chance to be a doctor. Dr. Klinefelder encourages her to attend a nursing school opening in Galveston, but Marty is determined t to settle for anything less than her dream - until Billy Washburn kisses her, and Marty feels everything inside of tighten up and go hot.
- Author BiographyMARY PENSON lives in Arlington Texas. She is the author of two other novels, both published by TCU Press: You're an Orphan, Mollie Brown, and Billy Bardin and the Witness Tree.
- Author(s)Mary E. Penson
- PublisherTexas Christian University Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication15/06/2007
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Series TitleChaparral Book for Young Readers S.
- Place of PublicationFort Worth
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTexas Christian University Press,U.S.
- Weight349 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.