All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.76
- AU $15.64Trending at AU $18.73
- AU $24.98Trending at AU $25.11
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.59
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $36.82
- AU $44.96Trending at AU $46.93
- AU $24.80Trending at AU $28.01
About this product
- DescriptionIf we are to understand Marx's thought, argues French philosopher Michel Henry, we must cast aside Marxism. In his original and richly detailed study of Marx's philosophy, Henry emphasizes the importance of approaching Marx's writings directly, rather than through the intermediary of subsequent interpretations, which often have been politically motivated. In contrast to the usual depiction of Marxian thought as an ecomically oriented analysis of social reality, Henry contends that in Marx's theory philosophy is primary. Therefore, Marx's writings must properly be viewed--and judged--within the context of the modern philosophical tradition. Marx's basic concern, Henry demonstrates, is with the nature of the human being, the real conditions of human individuality. Central to Henry's reading of Marx, and elaborated here with unprecedented thoroughness, is the theory of praxis, a conception of the individual t as a thinking being, in the Cartesian tradition, but as a laboring being, a producer and consumer situated in a concrete social world. This vel and provocative contribution to the current debate about the nature and meaning of Marx's thought is essential for students of philosophy, Marxism, and political theory. Kathleen McLaughlin's excellent translation of Henry's abridgement of his two-volume work preserves the power and freshness of the French original.
- Author BiographyMichel Henry is Professor of Philosophy at the Universite Paul Valery in Montpellier and author of The Essence of Manifestation and Philosophy and Phenomenology of the Body. Kathleen McLaughlin's translations from the French include The Cogito in Husserl's Philosophy by Gaston Berger.
- Author(s)Michel Henry
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/11/1983
- SubjectPolitical Ideologies & Parties
- Series TitleStudies in Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Translated byKathleen McLaughlin
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.