All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.79
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $20.47Trending at AU $21.66
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
- AU $30.45Trending at AU $51.50
About this product
- DescriptionMater Misericordiae-Mother of Mercy-emerged as one of the most prolific subjects in central Italian art from the late thirteenth through the sixteenth centuries. With icographic origins in Marian cult relics brought from Palestine to Constantiple in the fifth century, the amalgam of attributes coalesced in Armenian Cilicia then morphed as it spread to Cyprus. An early concept of Mary of Mercy-the Virgin standing with outstretched arms and a wide mantle under which kneel or stand devotees-entered the Italian peninsula at the ports of Bari and Venice during the Crusades, eventually converging in central Italy. The mendicant orders adopted the image as an easily recognizable symbol for mercy and aided in its diffusion. In this study, the author's primary goals are to explore the icographic origins of the Madonna della Misericordia as a devotional image by identifying and analyzing key attributes; to consider circumstances for its eventual overlapping function as a secular symbol used by lay confraternities; and to discuss its diaspora throughout the Italian peninsula, Western Europe, and eastward into Russia and Ukraine. With over 100 illustrations, the book presents an array of works of art as examples, including altarpieces, frescoes, oil paintings, manuscript illuminations, metallurgy, glazed terracotta, stained glass, architectural relief sculpture, and processional banners.
- Author BiographyKatherine T. Brown is Associate Professor of Art History and Museum Studies at Walsh University in North Canton, Ohio.
- Author(s)Katherine T. Brown
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/11/2016
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content Note83 black & white illustrations, 24 colour illustrations, 83 black & white halftones, 24 colour illustrations
- Weight748 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.