All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $18.75
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.83
- AU $14.96Trending at AU $23.26
- AU $9.34Trending at AU $15.64
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $14.56
- AU $10.15Trending at AU $11.84
- AU $20.68Trending at AU $23.69
About this product
- DescriptionMary's Garden is the story of a little girl who wants a garden in her yard. Her garden grows so well it gives more food than her family and friends can eat. She is aware that there are poor people in her county who don't have transportation. Sometimes, they have to take two or three buses to get to a grocery store. Mary's garden expands to become an organic produce stand, and then expands again into a building with a vegetarian kitchen and dining room. People come from miles around to eat the delicious food that is served there, grown on the land nearby. The author is a member of the Bioneers, which stands for biological pioneers (www.Bioneers.org). Marika is learning about many projects to naturally restore human health and the planet. At the 2004 Bioneers Conference, LaDonna Redmond spoke about the issue of bringing organic foods and urban farms to poor local communities which have otherwise been left out of the picture. LaDonna's son had terrible allergies, and she decided to improve her family's nutrition to help him get better. She made the shocking statement that, in her inner Chicago neighborhood, It's easier to buy a 38 caliber pistol than to find an organic apple! She and her husband started an inner city organic produce store as a result of this revelation. Marika decided to create an organic gardening project to blanket her county, the nation, and the world with organic, local sources of healthful food. She also formed a nprofit organization, JOY OF LEARNING CENTERS (www.joyoflearningcenters.org) to teach about the relationship of good food to human health. The Project is called The Prosperity Project, and is described on the website. All profits from sales of Mary's Garden will be used to support The Prosperity Project. By buying this book, you will be investing in good health for yourself, your family and your fellow human beings world wide! Mary's Garden is designed to appeal to children of all ages , from the very young to the young adults and parents who might be moved to create a similar project. It's also an inspiration for people to create similar programs in their own area, with a flyer and photos showing how to get started. There's a coloring book called Wiggle E. Worm that all children seem to love.
- Author BiographyMarika, MA, CMT, and Registered Polarity Practitioner, envisions a patchwork quilt of organic gardens spreading across the county, the nation, and the world! She sees gardening as a healthful activity families can do together and a great outlet for youthful energies. When learned that the average morsel of food travels 1300 miles to get to our tables - and our supply of gas and oil is being depleted - she created a way to build a local organic food supply, right in her yard. She started a community garden. All I ever wanted out of life was to be able to go outside and pick my dinner! she says. She was involved in the Green Revolution of the 60's, when she and her family moved to the country to live off the land as much as possible. They gardened, raised goats and lived without electricity. The children all drank goat's milk after they were weaned, and there was no TV. Those years were the best years of her life. Even before that, she has gardened wherever she has lived, since she was a small child. She has woven a few pictures of her own childhood into the story to show how long she has held this vision. She is the mother of four children, and the grandmother of eight! She claims, I have learned more from my children, my goats and my gardens than I did in school! She is a talented Polarity Practitioner, as well as a writer. She's a member of the AMERICAN POLARITY THERAPY ASSOCIATION, GRASSROOTS LEADERSHIP NETWORK, CHURCH OF RELIGIOUS SCIENCE and SCIENCE OF THE SOUL STUDY CENTER in Petaluma, CA. She as founded the JOY OF LEARNING CENTER to help bring holistic health teachings and organic foods to low income communities.
- PublisherTrafford Publishing
- Date of Publication05/05/2006
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationVictoria
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintTrafford Publishing
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight94 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine2 mm
- Illustrator(s)Peggy De Leers
- Photographs byTed Stanton,Marta
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.