All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA fascinating and timely biography of J. Edgar Hoover from a Sibert Medalist. King, there is only one thing left for you to do. You kw what it is...You better take it before your filthy, abrmal, fraudulent self is bared to the nation. Dr. Martin Luther King received this demand in an anymous letter in 1964. He believed that the letter was telling him to commit suicide. Who wrote this anymous letter? The FBI. And the man behind it all was J. Edgar Hoover, the FBI's first director. In this unsparing exploration of one of the most powerful Americans in the twentieth century, accomplished historian Marc Aronson unmasks the man behind the Bureau - his tangled family history and personal relationships; his own need for secrecy, deceit, and control; and the broad trends in American society that shaped his world. Hoover may have given America the security it wanted, but the secrets he knew gave him - and the Bureau - all the power he wanted. Using photographs, cartoons, movie posters, and FBI transcripts, Master of Deceit gives readers the necessary evidence to make their own conclusions. Here is a book about the twentieth century that blazes with questions and insights about our choices in the twenty-first.
- Author BiographyMarc Aronson has a doctorate in American history and is a member of the graduate faculty in the library school at Rutgers. He is an editor and author of many award-winning books for young people, including War Is... Soldiers, Survivors, and Storytellers Talk About War, which he co-edited with Patty Campbell. Marc Aronson lives in New Jersey.
- Author(s)Marc Aronson
- PublisherCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication03/05/2012
- SubjectSchool Textbooks & Study Guides: Social Sciences
- Place of PublicationMassachusetts
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCandlewick Press,U.S.
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight887 g
- Width200 mm
- Height260 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Interest AgeFrom 12
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $126.99Trending at AU $162.41
- AU $28.82Trending at AU $29.93
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $51.55
- AU $35.08Trending at AU $47.51
- AU $28.94Trending at AU $29.39
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $9.88Trending at AU $10.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.