All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.79Trending at AU $65.19
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.53
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.61
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.86
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.96
- AU $110.99Trending at AU $112.12
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.36
About this product
- DescriptionA rewned scholar of Islamic art, history and culture, Oleg Grabar introduces in this book a wide range of illuminated manuscript masterpieces from the eighth to the seventeenth century. The heroes of grand epics such as Alexander the Great are found side-by-side with mythical monarchs, sultans, and even monsters. Illuminated manuscripts of the Koran, epic poetry, and scientific works from the Egyptian, Syrian, Persian, Mogul, and Ottoman Empires await discovery. The book opens with an essay which contextualizes the works-the originals of which reside in the Louvre, French National Library, National Library of Cairo, the British Library, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Topkapi Museum, the Freer Gallery of Art and the collections of the Aga Khan and Khalili families. Following is a selection of two hundred full-color illustrations accompanied by the author's insightful commentary. Including examples of some of the world's most beautiful artistic expressions, this collection of carefully chosen works t only illustrates an important period in art history but also serves as a monument to the achievements of Islamic culture.
- Author BiographyOLEG GRABAR is a leading world authority on Islamic Art. He has taught Islamic art and architecture at the University of Michigan, Harvard, and most recently Princeton University's Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Author(s)Oleg Grabar
- Date of Publication31/07/2009
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationMunich
- Country of PublicationGermany
- Content Note200
- Weight2291 g
- Width270 mm
- Height350 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.