All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat are the odds of finding two people who share the same birth date in a room of thirty-five? Most people would guess they're pretty low. In actuality, the probability is better than 80 percent. This is just one of many entertaining examples of mathematical curiosities presented in this book. If you have been waiting for a book that will evoke the delight and intrigue that mathematics has to offer, this is the book for you. Mathematics educators Alfred S Posamentier and Ingmar Lehmann have created the perfect introduction to the wonders of mathematics for the general reader, requiring only a high school background in the subject. Among the entertaining and useful tricks they teach are shortcuts in arithmetic, such as ways to determine at a glance the exact divisors of any given number. They also demonstrate how the properties of certain numbers can lead to infinite loops. What is particularly exciting is how many correct answers turn out to be counterintuitive. Exploring all these features will instill insights into the nature of numbers, improve your ability to manipulate them, and give you an appreciation for the inherent elegance of mathematics. Posamentier and Lehmann evoke the beauty of mathematics through the visual aspect of geometry. Enjoy with them the riches of the aesthetic and surprising properties to be found in triangles, quadrilaterals, and circles. As you marvel at the many unusual relationships and velties revealed in this ingenious and delightful presentation, you will be learning more maths than you ever thought possible - and will be relishing every moment of it!
- Author BiographyAlfred S. Posamentieris dean of the School of Education and professor of mathematics education at Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry, New York. Previously, he had the same positions at the City College of the City University of New York for forty years. He has published over fifty-five books in the area of mathematics and mathematics education, including The Fabulous Fibonacci Numbers (with Ingmar Lehmann). Ingmar Lehmannis retired from the mathematics faculty at Humboldt University in Berlin. For many years he led the Berlin Mathematics Student Society for gifted secondary-school students, with which he is still closely engaged today. He is the coauthor with Alfred S. Posamentier of The Secrets of Triangles, The Glorious Golden Ratio, and three other books.
- Author(s)Alfred S. Posamentier,Ingmar Lehmann
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication23/06/2009
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Content Noteb/w illus
- Weight485 g
- Width175 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.61Trending at AU $33.14
- AU $17.80Trending at AU $22.29
- AU $43.34Trending at AU $44.45
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $37.10
- AU $25.92Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.33
- AU $36.24Trending at AU $40.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.