All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.48
About this product
- DescriptionThe Fondation Cartier pour lart contemporain, in conjunction with the Institut des Hautes Etudes Scientifiques (IHES) and in partnership with UNESCO is holding the exhibition Mathematical, Even Fire Is Governed By Numbers with one purpose in mind: to let mathematics and mathematicians speak out by giving them the opportunity to brainstorm with major artists from the world of contemporary art. By taking it out of the environment in which it is usually articulated and taught, the exhibition seeks to combine the aesthetic, scientific and educational aspects of mathematics into one unique experience. Six mathematicians have engaged in mutual exchanges with the guest artists: Sir Michael Atiyah (Fields Medal, 1966, and Abel Prize, 2004), Alain Connes (Fields Medal, 1982), Nicole El Karoui, Mikhail Gromov (Abel Prize, 2009), Cedric Villani (Fields Medal, 2010) and Don Zagier (Cole Prize, 1987). Accompanying these mathematicians are four artists: Raymond Depardon, Cai Guo-Qiang, David Lynch and Hiroshi Sugimoto. Together, they collaborate on a series of projects: movies, sound pieces and in situ installations. A combination of written texts, questionnaires and portraits, the catalogue also illustrates the diversity of mathematical thought as expressed by the scientists as well as the artists and emphasizes the importance of creativity in this field. A large part of the book is also devoted to the visual interpretations of mathematics as conveyed through the works of the artists participating in the exhibition.
- PublisherFondation Cartier pour l'art contemporain
- Date of Publication19/12/2011
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationParis
- Country of PublicationFrance
- ImprintFondation Cartier pour l'art contemporain
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1280 g
- Introduction byMichel Casse,Jean-Pierre Bourguignon
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.