All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.02
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $83.85
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.22
About this product
- DescriptionWhen he first visited the Czech Republic in the 1990s, Matthew Monteith was taken with the details of ordinary life in this country in transition. Captivated by the ineffable mood, a sense of place he made repeated visits and in 2001-3 traveled throughout the country photographing with the hope of creating a contemporary allegory that reflected ideals he had found in old postcards and Czech photography from the 1920s and 30s. With their restraint, brilliant color, and thoughtful attention to the uncanny within the everyday, Monteiths photographs parallel a venerable tradition staked out by masters such as Joel Sternfeld and embodied in contemporary work by practitioners such as Alec Soth. Though at times foreboding, Monteiths work is pervaded by an energetic optimism and humor. Meticulously composed and beautifully produced images focus on individuals, landscapes, oddly stilled cityscapes, and the worn traces of the country's long and complex history. Czech Eden is t a literal description or documentation, but rather a parable in which the viewer encounters individuals and environments that are cohesive yet contradictory, beautiful but unsettling.
- Date of Publication01/01/2007
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Note52 colour illustrations
- Weight830 g
- Width279 mm
- Height241 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Photographer(s)Matthew Monteith
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.