All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $34.26Trending at AU $43.84
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.43
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $83.68
- AU $13.33Trending at AU $16.97
- AU $17.72Trending at AU $19.69
- AU $16.67Trending at AU $22.32
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $23.31
About this product
- DescriptionMaurice Guest comes to Leipzig, the music capital of Europe, to realize his dream of becoming a great pianist. However, in its bohemian and heady atmosphere, he encounters t exaltation and inspiration but coarseness, greed, and ambition. For his muse, he turns to Louise Dufraryer, an exotic and languid pianist. Louise has recently been deserted by her own obsessive love, the resident composer and reigning genius, Schilsky. Now her capricious demands on Maurice's time and energy destroy whatever slight chance he may have had at distinguishing himself. The more he slides in failure, the more striking the contrast between him and the absent Schilsky, who still holds first place in Louise's thoughts and feelings. The degradation of their relationship runs its full course until jealousy and hatred are its only vital forms. Maurice Guest was first published in 1908. Antonia White called it one of the greatest vels of the twentieth century. As a study of the tragic power of desperate love, it ranks in the great tradition of the European naturalist vel. Skyhorse Publishing, as well as our Arcade, Yucca, and Good Books imprints, are proud to publish a broad range of books for readers interested in fiction--vels, vellas, political and medical thrillers, comedy, satire, historical fiction, romance, erotic and love stories, mystery, classic literature, folklore and mythology, literary classics including Shakespeare, Dumas, Wilde, Cather, and much more. While t every title we publish becomes a New York Times bestseller or a national bestseller, we are committed to books on subjects that are sometimes overlooked and to authors whose work might t otherwise find a home.
- Author BiographyHenry Handel Richardson was the pseudonym of Ethel Florence Lindesay Richardson. She was born in Australia in 1870 and wrote several classic works including The Getting of Wisdom and The Fortunes of Richard Mahony. She died in 1946.
- Author(s)Henry Handel Richardson
- PublisherSkyhorse Publishing
- Date of Publication20/10/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSkyhorse Publishing
- Weight642 g
- Width140 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.