All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs a veteran campaigner, the Byzantine emperor Maurice (582-602) compiled a unique and influential handbook intended for the field commander. In this first complete English translation, the Strategikon is an invaluable source t only for early Byzantine history but for the general history of the art of war. Describing in detail weaponry and armor, daily life on the march or in camp, clothing, food, medical care, military law, and titles of the Byzantine army of the seventh century, the Strategikon offers insights into the Byzantine military ethos. In language contemporary, down-to-earth, and practical, the text also provides important data for the historian, and even the ethlogist, including eyewitness accounts of the Persians, Slavs, Lombards, and Avars at the frontier of the Empire.
- Author BiographyEditor of the definitive Greek text of the Strategikon, George T. Dennis is the editor and translator also of Three Byzantine Military Treatises and The Letters of Manuel II Palaeologus. He is Professor Emeritus of History, The Catholic University of America.
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication03/01/2001
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleThe Middle Ages Series
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight312 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Translated byGeorge T. Dennis
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.11
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.45
- AU $31.43Trending at AU $36.86
- AU $30.95Trending at AU $34.21
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.82
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.28
- AU $18.20Trending at AU $22.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.