All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn his still lifes, Max Beckmann juxtaposed vitality with death, permanence with ephemerality. Featuring nearly eighty paintings along with watercolours and other objects, this volume covers a half-century of the artist's forays into the genre. The works run like a golden thread through every stage of his creative life. Images of skulls, dying flowers, extinguished candles and gleaming mirrors populate these masterful works, which draw on the tradition of the Old Masters as well as the vanitas of the early 17th century. At the same time, Beckmann's still lifes are a celebration of colour and form, materiality, textures and surfaces. The beautifully reproduced works are lumius on the page, allowing readers to appreciate Beckmann's use of iridescent colour and bold lines. Together they provide a unique perspective on Beckmann's development as an artist, as well as a rich exploration into an aspect of the modern master's oeuvre that is lesser kwn.
- Author BiographyKARIN SCHICK is head of the Modern Art Department at the Hamburger Kunsthalle. HUBERTUS GASSNER is Director of the Hamburger Kunsthalle, Germany.
- Date of Publication05/09/2014
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationMunich
- Country of PublicationGermany
- Content Note150 colour
- Weight1293 g
- Width230 mm
- Height280 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byHamburger Kunsthalle,Hubertus Gassner,Karin Schick
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.03Trending at AU $32.38
- AU $35.79Trending at AU $43.25
- AU $11.67Trending at AU $15.72
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $33.86
- AU $43.40Trending at AU $47.45
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $36.00
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $49.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.