All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn adventurous single woman who knew how to cook, twenty-three-year-old May Arkwright moved - alone - to the remote valleys of rthern Idaho in 1883. She opened a one-table restaurant for the silver prospectors near Wallace, serving her homemade berry pies and hot dishes. Before long, she was a well-kwn part of the fledgling mining district.May, a large, outspoken woman who favored low-cut, brightly colored dresses, scandalized the proper women of town. But her self-confidence and ease with people helped her make important friends among the miners, merchants, and railroad men who ate at her table. After she met and married local train engineer Al Hutton, the two invested in a mine upstream from Wallace. After several long years they struck it rich and moved to Spokane, where May spent the rest of her life working on philanthropic projects that still affect residents of the Pacific Northwest to this day. As related through the skilled storytelling of Mary Barmeyer O'Brien, this larger-than-life woman's story adds a compelling new element to the history of the West.
- Author BiographyMary Barmeyer O'Brien's books on the pioneer experience include Toward the Setting Sun: Pioneer Girls Traveling the Overland Trails; Heart of the Trail: The Stories of Eight Wagon Train Women; Outlasting the Trail: The Story of a Woman's Journey West; and Across Death Valley. She lives in Polson, Montana.
- Author(s)Mary Barmeyer O'Brien
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication06/08/2013
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationGuilford
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTwoDot Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps
- Weight16 g
- Width137 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $73.29
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.81
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.75
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.44
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.95
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.60
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.