All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe first comprehensive mograph on the acclaimed American artist and architect, kwn for her environmental works and memorials that distill a tranquil yet texturally rich minimalism. Maya Lin is one of the most important public artists of this century. As an architecture student at Yale, Lin designed the Vietnam Veterans Memorial as a class project, entering it in the largest design competition in American history. Her winning proposal, a V-shaped wall of black stone etched with the names of 58,000 dead soldiers, has since become the most visited memorial in the nation s capital.This visually rich volume presents 50 projects from the last three decades that demonstrate the scope of Lin s creative process, featuring her own sketches and drawings and linked by her ideal of making a place for individuals within the landscape.With her environmental works Storm King Wavefield, Eleven-Minute Line (Sweden), and Pin River Yangtze (Beijing), Lin maintains a balance between art and architecture, drawing inspiration from culturally diverse sources. From the moment she entered the national spotlight with her design for the Vietnam Memorial, Lin has been proposing ways of thinking and imagining that resist categories, genres, and borders.
- Author BiographyJohn McPhee has been a staff writer at The New Yorker since 1965. Michael Brenson is a critic, scholar, and teacher. William L. Fox is director of the Center for Art + Environment at the Nevada Museum of Art. Paul Goldberger is a contributing editor to Vanity Fair. He was previously the architecture critic for The New Yorker. Philip Jodidio has written numerous books on architecture and art. Lisa Phillips is director of the New Museum of Contemporary Art, New York. Dava Sobel is a writer of popular expositions of scientific topics.
- Author(s)John McPhee,Michael Brenson
- PublisherRizzoli International Publications
- Date of Publication13/10/2015
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRizzoli International Publications
- Content Note200 colour illustrations
- Weight3175 g
- Width254 mm
- Height305 mm
- Spine38 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $26.38Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $53.09Trending at AU $58.40
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.