All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.07
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $59.39Trending at AU $61.38
About this product
- DescriptionIn 1927, Mazo de la Roche submitted her manuscript to the competition for a prestigious U.S. literary prize, the Atlantic Monthly-Little, Brown Award for Best Novel. She won the cash prize of $10,000, and Little, Brown and Company published her vel, Jalna . This book became an immediate best-seller. Suddenly, she was rich and famous. Mazo de la Roche went on to publish 16 vels in a popular series about a family named Whiteoak, living in Southern Ontario in a big, old, red-brick house named Jalna. A hit play, a Hollywood movie, and TV mini-series in both Canada and France all were based on her saga of the Whiteoak family. The millions of books sold in 193 English-language editions and 92 foreign-language editions of the series produced substantial royalty cheques. Her success allowed her to travel abroad and to live in a mansion near Windsor Castle. Mazo de la Roche hated being a celebrity and tried to escape the public attention her fame brought. She was a private person whose creativity depended on a quiet daily routine. She created unforgettable characters who come to life for her readers, but she was secretive about her own life. When she died in 1961, her cousin and life-long companion Caroline Clement burned her diaries, adding to the aura of mystery that already surrounded Mazo. Once Canada's best-kwn writer internationally, Mazo de la Roche published 37 books in her long career. The Jalna stories, based on memories of her family and the places in Southern Ontario where she grew up, depict a way of life that is gone forever. And her own life story is as intriguing as the plots she created in her fiction.
- Author BiographyHeather Kirk writes books for young people and adults. Heather has also written newspaper articles, radio scripts, and scholarly criticism. She has won several awards for her work.
- Author(s)Heather Kirk
- PublisherXYZ Publishing
- Date of Publication01/01/2006
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationMontreal, QC
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintXYZ Publishing
- Content Noteb/w photos
- Weight286 g
- Width140 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.