All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.40Trending at AU $32.16
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $85.49
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $31.65
- AU $46.01Trending at AU $53.17
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $13.09
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.86
- AU $30.89Trending at AU $31.62
About this product
- DescriptionAn early example of American realism, McTeague was considered truly shocking when first published at the turn of the century. This searing portrait of the downfall of a slow-witted dentist and his avaricious wife embodies Frank Norris' powerful insights into conflicting forces of heredity and social conditioning. It is a vel of compelling narrative force, resounding with a sense of life as epic. As Kevin Starr points out in his introduction, McTeague continues to be regarded as a central statement of evolutionary awareness in late nineteenth-century America and as representative of the best work of a school of writers that included Stephen Crane and Theodore Dreiser.
- Author BiographyAlfred Kazin (1915 1998) was one of the most distinguished literary critics of the twentieth century. His numerous books include the highly acclaimed On Native Ground: An Interpretation of Modern American Prose Literature.
- Author(s)Frank Norris
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication24/11/1994
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Out-of-print date05/01/2012
- Weight352 g
- Width132 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byKevin Starr
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.