All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $103.88Trending at AU $107.25
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $80.14
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $116.18
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $107.33
- AU $49.79Trending at AU $51.77
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $104.32
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $88.30
About this product
- DescriptionThis lively and accessible study of media and discourse combines theoretical reflection with empirical engagement, and brings together insights from a range of disciplines. Within media and cultural studies, the study of media texts is dominated by an exclusive focus on representation. This book adds long overdue attention to social interaction. The book is divided into two sections. The first outlines key theoretical issues and concepts, including informalisation, genre hybridisation, positioning, dialogism and discourse. The second is a sustained interrogation of social interaction in and around media. Re-examining issues of representation and interaction, it critically assesses work on the para-social and broadcast sociability, then explores distinct sites of interaction: production communities, audience communities and 'interactivity' with audiences. Key features * The book is rich with fascinating examples involving British and US media, including radio, television, magazines and newspapers and their Internet spin-offs. * It brings together insights from conversation analysis, critical discourse analysis, cultural studies and media anthropology. * It is key reading for advanced undergraduates and postgraduates doing media studies, communication and cultural studies and journalism studies.
- Author BiographyMary Talbot is a Reader in Language and Culture at the University of Sunderland. She has extensive teaching and research experience in discourse, media and gender. Her previous books include Language and Gender (1998), 'All the World and Her Husband': Women in 20th-Century Consumer Culture (with Maggie Andrews, 2000) and Language and Power in the Modern World (with Karen Atkinson and David Atkinson, EUP, 2003).
- Author(s)Mary Talbot
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication09/08/2007
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleMedia Topics
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content Note3 line drawings
- Weight295 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byValerie Alia
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.