All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $30.17Trending at AU $33.12
About this product
- DescriptionWhile the analysis of generations has been central in the sociological understanding of social change, the role of the media in this process has only been ackwledged as an important feature during the last couple of decades. Building on quantitative and qualitative comparative research, Media Generations analyses the role of the media in the formation of generational experience, identity and habitus, and how mediated stalgia is an important part in the social formation of generations. Avoiding popular generational labelling Goran Bolin argues that the totality of the media landscape is a contextual structure that together with age and life-course factors help inform world-views and ways to relate to the wider society that guide the actions of media users. Media Generations demonstrates how - as different generations come of age at different moments in the mediatised historical process - they develop different media habits, but also make sense of the world differently, which informs their relations to older and younger generations. It also explores how this process of 'generationing', that is, the process in which a generation come into being as a self-perceived social identity, partly builds on specific kinds of stalgia that establishes generational differences and distinctions. This book will be of special interest to those studying social change, collective memory, cultural identity and the role of the media in social experience.
- Author BiographyGoran Bolin is Professor of Media and Communication Studies at Sodertorn University, Stockholm, Sweden. He is the author of Value and the Media: Cultural Production and Consumption in Digital Markets (2011), and editor of Cultural Technologies: The Shaping of Culture in Media and Society (2012).
- Author(s)Goran Bolin
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication12/08/2016
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white tables, 16 black & white halftones
- Weight226 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.