All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.52
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.39
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.81
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.14
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.09
- AU $17.07Trending at AU $23.44
About this product
- DescriptionIn this book, Barrie Gunter provides a broad overview of the methodological perspectives adopted by media researchers in their attempt to derive a better understanding of the nature, role and impact of media in society. By tracing the epistemological and theoretical roots of the major methodological perspectives, Gunter identifies the various schools of social scientific research that have determined the major perspectives in the area. Drawing a distinction between quantitative and qualitative methods, he discusses the relative advantages and disadvantages of each approach, and examines recent trends that signal a convergence of approaches and their associated forms of research. The unique strength of this book is that it discusses the theoretical underpinnings of media research methodologies, and thereby presents a deeper discussion of methodologies than simply whether or t they offer techniques that generate reliable data.
- Author BiographyMy main research interests include media violence, the impact of broadcast news, effects of television on public opinion, the effects of advertising on young people, the use and impact of new interactive media. I have also conducted research on a wide range of other media, marketing and management issues. My recent research has centred on the use and impact of new media (in particular the Internet and digital interactive television). I am particularly interested in the use of the web as an information source and in the impact of Internet-related behaviour on use of other media, especially television. I have continued to conduct research and to write about the influence of television advertising, among children and adults. Much of this recent work has focused on alcohol advertising and young people's drinking. In addition, with two colleagues in my department, I recently conducted research for the Food Standards Agency on the nature of formula product advertising targeted at young mothers. I have also been involved in research from the British Library with colleagues at University College London on the use of online tools for information search in the context of higher education.
- Author(s)Barrie Gunter
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication29/12/1999
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight456 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.