All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.26
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.07
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.46
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $56.95
About this product
- DescriptionIf a reader of Chaucer suspects that an echo of a biblical verse may somehow depend for its meaning on traditional commentary on that verse, how does he or she go about finding the relevant commentaries? If one finds the word ?fire? in a context that suggests resonances beyond the literal, how does that reader go about learning what the traditional figurative meanings of fire were?It was to the solution of such difficulties that R.E. Kaske addressed himself in this volume setting out and analyzing the major repositories of traditional material: biblical exegesis, the liturgy, hymns and sequences, sermons and homilies, the pictorial arts, mythography, commentaries on individual authors, and a number of miscellaneous themes. An appendix deals with medieval encyclopedias.Kaske created a tool that will revolutionize research in its designated field: the discovery and interpretation of the traditional meanings reflected in medieval Christian imagery.
- Author BiographyR.E. Kaske was Avalon Foundation Professor in the Humanities at Cornell University.
- Author(s)R.E. Kaske
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication08/01/1988
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight360 g
- Width140 mm
- Height215 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Volume editorJohn Leyerle
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.