All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.34
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.01
About this product
- DescriptionFootball has become one of the most mediated cultural practices in modern Western societies, providing players, officials and spectators with implicit and often hidden discourses about race/ethnicity, national identity and gender. This book provides new and critical insights into how mediated football as a contested cultural practice influences, and is influenced by, discourses and stereotypes about race/ethnicity, nation and gender that operate at the local, national and global level. It analyzes both contemporary media representations and the ways these representations are negotiated, interpreted and used by football media audiences. These issues are explored across all media genres (print media, television, online, social media, film, and so forth) in a multidisciplinary and cross-cultural manner, with contributions from diverse disciplines and countries. This book was originally published as a special issue of Soccer and Society.
- Author BiographyJacco van Sterkenburg is Assistant Professor in the Department of Media & Communication and the Erasmus Research Centre for Media Communication and Culture, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands. He is also Visiting Research Fellow at the Mulier Institute in The Netherlands. Ramon Spaaij is Associate Professor in the Institute of Sport, Exercise and Active Living and the Centre for Cultural Diversity and Wellbeing at Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia. He is also Special Chair of Sociology of Sport at the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and Visiting Professor in the School of Governance, Utrecht University, The Netherlands.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2015
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSport in the Global Society - Contemporary Perspectives
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight521 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJacco van Sterkenburg,Ramon Spaaij
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.