All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.35Trending at AU $49.47
- AU $77.99Trending at AU $116.39
- AU $28.60Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $70.39Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $74.12Trending at AU $76.60
- AU $35.47Trending at AU $39.06
- AU $26.74Trending at AU $37.59
About this product
- DescriptionUsing art as therapy or intervention permits people with serious or life-threatening physical illnesses to express themselves in a manner that is often felt to be safer and less difficult than a strictly verbal means. When coping with serious illness, invasive medical procedures, drug, chemotherapy or radiation treatment, and, in some cases, terminal illness, art expression is a powerful method for dealing with physical changes, emotional trauma, interpersonal problems and spiritual dilemmas. It can also enhance a therapist's understanding of patients' perceptions of themselves, their families and their environment, and allows both therapist and patient to obtain a fresh perspective on problems and directions. Some of the most distinguished art therapists in the USA have contributed to this wide-ranging and inspiring collection, which deals sensitively with work with patients who are suffering from terminal illness such as AIDS or cancer, or recovering from traumatic operations such as mastectomies. The chapters offer practical advice on materials and approaches to use with a variety of clients, depending on the objectives of the therapy. As the first book to engage with medical art therapy with adults, this will be an invative and essential resource for all counsellors, creative arts therapists, psychologists and health care professionals.
- Author BiographyCathy Malchiodi MA, ATR, LPAT, LPCC is Director of the Institute for the Arts and Health in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Editor of Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association. She is on the National Board of the Institute for Trauma and Loss in Children. She is a licensed art therapist and clinical counsellor, and has written five books and over forty articles on the use of art therapy with trauma victims, victims of physical and sexual abuse, and art and medicine.
- Author(s)Cathy A. Malchiodi
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication01/06/1999
- SubjectMedical Nursing & Ancillary Services
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight426 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byCathy A. Malchiodi
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.