All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn a single convenient resource, this revised and updated edition of a classic text organizes and presents clearly the documents of the Catholic Church pertaining to medical ethics. Introductory chapters provide the context for interpreting the Church's teachings and theological values, guiding the reader in how to apply the teachings to particular ethical dilemmas and helping the reader to understand the role of conscience within the Catholic tradition. The teaching of the Church in regard to health care ethics is pertinent t only for health care professionals and students, but for all who are concerned about the common good of society. Medical Ethics examines specific teachings of the Church on over seventy issues in clinical and research ethics, including abortion, AIDS, artificial insemination, assisted suicide, cloning, contraception, euthanasia, gene therapy, health care reform, organ donation and transplantation, organizational ethics, stem cells, surrogate motherhood, and withholding and withdrawing life support. O'Rourke and Boyle bring this fourth edition up to the present day by incorporating recent papal documents regarding the social aspects of health care, assent to Church teaching, and the 2008 papal instruction Dignitas personae, an extremely influential document that illuminates such controversial dilemmas as prenatal adoption, frozen embryos, and genetic diagsis.
- Author BiographyKevin O'Rourke, OP, is a professor of bioethics at the Neiswanger Institute of Bioethics and Public Policy in the Stritch School of Medicine at Loyola University, Chicago. He is the coauthor of Health Care Ethics: A Theological Analysis, Fifth Edition and Ethics of Health Care: An Introductory Textbook, Third Edition. Philip J. Boyle is vice president of mission and ethics at Catholic Health East, a multi-institutional Catholic health care system. He is the coauthor of Organizational Ethics in Health Care.
- Author(s)Kevin D. O'Rourke,Philip J. Boyle
- PublisherGeorgetown University Press
- Date of Publication13/04/2011
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationWashington, DC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGeorgetown University Press
- Weight726 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edition Statement4th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $29.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.