All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionDespite the urbanization of the United States, the rural population exceeds 60 million, and the provision of health services to these people remains a difficult problem. This volume addresses one crucial aspect of that problem-the task of attracting physicians to rural medical practice. It does this by carefully analyzing the special health problems and the general features of rural society in which the young doctor would be working. Rural health needs have been recognized in America for wen over a century. In response, many organized health programs have, in fact, improved the situation. Compared to 1930, the present coverage of rural counties by public health agencies has been greatly extended. Thanks to the Hill-Burton Act of 1946, the availability of general hospital beds has become virtually equalized among the states with varying degrees of rurality. Federally subsidized and locally organized health programs are serving migratory workers, American Indians, the people of Appalachia, and other rural groups. Voluntary health insurance covers millions of rural families, even though the extent of this ecomic protection is less than among urban families. Medicare helps to protect the rural aged, as it does the urban. Medicaid finances health services for the rural poor far more effectively than the purely local welfare programs of 1930. There is question, then, about the improvement in rural health resources and services in America over the last 50 years.
- Author(s)Cornelia F. Mutel
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication27/09/2013
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note55 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight272 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1983
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.