All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.95Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.74Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on the entwinement of politics and medicine and power and kwledge in India during the age of empire. Using the powerful metaphor of 'pathology' - the science of the origin, nature, and course of diseases - the author develops and challenges a burgeoning literature on colonial medicine, moving beyond discussions of state medicine and the control of epidemics to everyday life, to show how medicine was a fundamental ideology of empire. Related to this point, and engaging with postcolonial histories of biopower and modernity, the book highlights the use of this racially grounded medicine in the formulation of modern selves and subjectivities in late colonial India. In tracing the cultural determinants of biological race theory and contextualizing the understanding of race as pathology, the book demonstrates how racialism was compatible with the ideologies and policies of imperial liberalism. Medicine, Race and Liberalism in British Bengal brings together the study of modern South Asia, race theory, colonialism and empire and the history of medicine. It highlights the powerful role played by the idea of 'pathology' in the rationalization of imperial liberalism and the subsequent projects of modernity embraced by native experts in Bengal in the 'long' nineteenth century.
- Author BiographyIshita Pande is Assistant Professor of History at Queen's University, Ontario. Her research interests include the history of science and medicine, cities, gender, race and childhood.
- Author(s)Ishita Pande
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication29/03/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note2 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white halftones, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight385 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.