Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.23
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.11
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.05
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.87
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.29
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.89
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.02
About this product
- DescriptionAs the Viking Age gave way to the Middle Ages the development of Scandinavian armies showed special local characteristics, due both to the rough terrain and the relatively 'egalitarian' nature of society. Though Denmark's proximity to Germany led to the appearance there of a kind of feudal system and some heavy armoured cavalry, in Sweden and Norway there was fairly willing co-operation between the few bles and the many free farmers. This book shows how armies were of local infantry levies raised by 'democratic' methods to defend home territory. It also details how the crossbow became very important along with ambush tactics and winter campaigning, employing the use of sledges and skis.
- Author BiographyDavid Nicolle worked in the BBC Arabic service for a number of years, before gaining an MA from the School of Oriental and African Studies, London, and a doctorate from Edinburgh University. He later taught world and Islamic art and architectural history at Yarmuk University, Jordan. He has written many books and articles on medieval and Islamic warfare and has written many Osprey titles. David lives and works in Leicestershire, UK. Angus McBride is one of the world's most respected historical illustrators, and has contributed to more than 70 Osprey titles in the past three decades. Born in 1931 of Highland parents but orphaned as a child, he was educated at Canterbury Cathedral Choir School. He worked in advertising agencies from 1947, and after national service, emigrated to South Africa. He now lives and works in Cape Town.
- Author(s)David Nicolle
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication20/08/2003
- SubjectMilitary History
- Series TitleMen-at-Arms
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 396
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOsprey Publishing
- Content Note8 colour & 40 b&w illustrations
- Weight166 g
- Width185 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine4 mm
- Illustrator(s)Angus McBride
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.