Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $26.78Trending at AU $29.35
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
About this product
- DescriptionWhat would a visual image of a philosophical idea look like? Aren't philosophical concepts, by virtue of their very abstractness, incapable of being rendered visually? These are some of the questions raised in this catalogue of an exhibition at the Mount Holyoke College Art Museum, Mel Bochner: Illustrating Philosophy, which examines a specific project by the rewned conceptual artist. Curator and author Thomas E. Wartenberg explores Bochner's prints and drawings inspired by the writings of philosopher Ludwig Wittgenstein, a suite of which was published as illustrations to the 1991 Arion Press edition of On Certainty. Through his sensitive analysis, Wartenberg shows how Bochner translates Wittgenstein's revolutionary claims about kwledge and doubt into visual images. Bochner's work presents an important corrective to a view of book illustrations as a crutch for understanding an author's meaning. Illustrations, in fact, can provide an alternative means of access to complex, even abstract ideas. This book will interest an academic audience, particularly in the areas of philosophy, art and art history, linguistics, and word and image studies.
- Author BiographyTHOMAS E. WARTENBERG is Professor of Philosophy at Mount Holyoke College. His research focuses on the intersection between philosophy and popular culture. MEL BOCHNER is an internationally-acclaimed artist represented in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, The Art Institute of Chicago, Tate Modern, and many others.
- Author(s)John R. Stomberg,Thomas E. Wartenberg
- PublisherMount Holyoke College Art Museum
- Date of Publication16/02/2016
- Place of PublicationSouth Hadley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMount Holyoke College Art Museum
- Content Note30 color illus.
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.