All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn engaging exploration of the use of language in a complex and colorful series of paintings Mel Bochner (b. 1940) is celebrated as a key Conceptual artist of the 1960s. Less well-kwn are his paintings made after that period: complex works based on an exploration of language, often crowded with typography in lush, contrasting hues that both embrace and challenge the painterly tradition. Mel Bochner: Strong Language focuses on this important body of work, in which Bochner investigates the lines between text and image. Ranging from bold admonishments and witty emoticons to provocative floods of words, these works demonstrate conceptual seriousness, as well as delight in the playful potential of language. Norman L. Kleeblatt discusses the evolution of Bochner's art from his early word experiments through his return to painting, while Bochner offers a personal perspective. Both Kleeblatt and Bochner address the question of Jewishness in Bochner's work, particularly the ways in which the Jewish intellectual tradition embraces language as a visual expressive form.
- Author BiographyNorman L. Kleeblatt is the Susan and Elihu Rose Chief Curator at the Jewish Museum. Mel Bochner is a New York-based artist.
- Author(s)Norman L. Kleeblatt
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication01/07/2014
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Series TitleJewish Museum
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note101 colour images + 11 black-&-white illustrations
- Weight1125 g
- Width203 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $29.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.