All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.00Trending at AU $70.55
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.30
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $68.17
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $32.91
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.36
- AU $67.59Trending at AU $76.01
About this product
- DescriptionMelatonin is a powerful hormone and antioxidant with numerous effects on the metabolism and the health of humans. Available as a dietary supplement in the United States since 1993, it is one of the most popular over-the-counter alternative remedies available. Comprising contributions from researchers who have studied the role of melatonin in various disease and physiological states, Melatonin in the Promotion of Health, Second Edition provides a wide variety of expert reviews on the biology of melatonin relevant to health. Beginning with a history of melatonin and its relation to circadian rhythms, the book examines its use in a host of applications, including: Gut motility and gastrointestinal diseases Anesthesia and surgery Bone health Breast cancer Cardiovascular diseases Diabetes Age-related macular degeneration and uveitis Melanoma, solar skin damage, and collagen synthesis The prevention of DNA damage Mental disorders, sleep, and issues related to jet lag and shift work The data gathered from a large number of carefully controlled animal and human studies have clearly implicated melatonin in the control mechanisms of a wide variety of physiological and psychological activities, making it a potent candidate for therapeutic use in the treatment of a diverse range of diseases. This volume demonstrates that continued studies of this molecule raise the exciting prospect of providing new avenues of treating numerous diseases more effectively and with less side-effects than those found in conventional treatment modalities.
- Author BiographyRonald R. Watson, PhD, is a member of several national and international nutrition, immunology, cancer, and alcoholism research societies. For 30 years he was funded by Wallace Research Foundation to study dietary supplements in health promotion. Dr. Watson has edited more than 35 books on nutrition, dietary supplements, and over-the-counter agents, and 53 other scientific books. He has published more than 500 research and review articles.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication25/08/2011
- SubjectMedicine: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note82 black & white illustrations, 19 black & white tables
- Weight1133 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edited byRonald Ross Watson
- Format DetailsSewn
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.