All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRecognized as a turning point in Brazilian literature, this entertaining vel of urban manners follows the ne'er-do-well Leonardo through his various romantic liaisons and frequent scrapes with the law. First printed in weekly installments in 1852, and later published in two volumes in 1854-55, Memoirs of a Militia Sergeant comprises a series of humorous vignettes held together by the adventures and misfortunes of this young rogue--who matures from a handful of a toddler into a ruffian of a boy and an idler of a young man--and his father, also named Leonardo. Manuel Antonio De Almeida tells a story in everyday language that is rich in detail of life on the streets and the modest circumstances of the free poor of Rio de Janeiro. Through satirical accounts of the escapades of characters who always seem close to the brink of some personal crisis or social misstep, yet who manage to pull through by hook or by crook, Almeida makes a subtle and incisive comment on Brazilian urban society and culture of the nineteenth century. Now available in a new and lively translation, Memoirs of a Military Sergeant occupies an important position in the satirical literature of Brazil and the world.
- Author BiographyThomas Holloway is a distinguished historian at Cornell University. His most recent book is Policing Rio de Janeiro: Repression and Resistance in a Nineteenth-Century City. Flora Sussekind is a professor at the University of Rio de Janeiro and a researcher at the Casa de Rui Barbosa Center for Research. Ronald W. Sousa is a professor in the department of Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese at the University of Illinois, Urbana. He is a translator of Latin American fiction, as well as a literary critic and editor.
- Author(s)Manuel Antonio De Almeida
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication01/11/1999
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleLibrary of Latin America
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight266 g
- Width137 mm
- Height209 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Translated byRonald W. Sousa
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $69.05Trending at AU $71.78
- AU $11.54Trending at AU $16.45
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $14.87
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.74
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $24.26
- AU $22.68Trending at AU $25.96
- AU $9.42Trending at AU $13.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.